Tuesday, July 1, 2014

We Are What We Repeatedly Do

Yesterday was filled with workout awesome-ness. Awesomeness.....awesome..nessss

I ran a few errands in the morning and somehow ended up here....


Who knows how that happens? I was actually looking for some more compression socks. Those dang things save my life. They only had CEP, which is the brand that I own but then I also remembered that I had a pro-deal. I went home and I actually found another deal I had on a newer line of compression socks so I thought - why not? They should be at my door in two weeks.

I had Ezekiel bread with Vegenaise and sliced tomatoes from the Farmer's Market for lunch.


I went swimming outside at a rec center and completed 500 meters and then ran 4 miles and lifted. My gym does not have an outdoor pool, so I just stayed at the rec center near my house to run and lift. When I was lifting, there was an older gentleman with big muscles that approached me and asked "What are you training for?"

My response took a minute. I told him that I competed before and that I continued to lift to maintain, but that I was also of thinking of competing again. His name was Bob. Bob told me that he used to train bodybuilders in the 1980's at "European Spas" and he ended our conversation with "You know what you're doing and it shows."

I share this with you because of this...

I don't feel like I look like a bodybuilder and sometimes I hate to tell people that I am. A few years ago a friend of mine was training for a half marathon. She was asking me for speed training advice and told me "I just wish I were a real runner". I stopped her there and told her "You love to run. You run often. You ARE a runner." Similar to my friend, I am comfortable saying that I bodybuild but uncomfortable telling others that I am a bodybuilder.

The bottom line is, don't compartmentalize yourself into an idea of what a runner, bodybuilder, biker, triathlete, etc is supposed to be or look like. I have to remind myself of this often.

A few months ago I was asked to give a TEDx talk about bodybuilding.  I was nervous as hell and torn to bits. When Manfriend asked why I was so nervous, my response was "I don't LOOK like a bodybuilder. I haven't even competed in 3 years!" His reply was "You lift heavy everyday. You are constantly improving and building your body. You ARE a bodybuilder."


Even when you think you don't look like or act like a runner or a lifter or whatever else, remember that we can be our worst critics. Bob thought I knew what I was doing....and sometimes I think I do too and that is good enough for me. 

Also, this is what Manfriend did all day. 

He worked in his manshop from 8am to 10pm last night. I think I might make him some yummies today.

He is a carpenter. He builds pretty things like this..


If you feel so inclined, here is a link to my Tedx Talk. I have not watched it because I can't stand the sound of my own voice....also, I was there. No need in reliving my display of nervousness.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment