Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Fork Over Knives Berry Cobbler with PB2

Remember how I said that I was going to make some yummies?



I made this today from a recipe in this book:


If you haven't seen this movie, then you should go to here.

I also think that it is available on Netflix. One of the doctors, Dr. McDougall , wrote a book that was one of the main reasons I decided to become vegan in the first place.

Anyway, EVERYTHING that I have made from this book has been absolutely amazing. Here is a pic of Cauliflower-Cream Pasta that I made once.


Here is the recipe from the Forks over Knives book for the Berry Cobbler exactly how I used it today.

Ingredients: 

For the Filling
5 cups mixed berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)
2 T. lemon juice
1/3 c. dry sweetner (I used coconut sugar)
3 T. cornstarch
Pinch of salt

For the Biscuit Topping
1/2 c plant-based milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (I used white vinegar, I know, I know.)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. oat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill, which you can also buy gluten free)
1 T. baking powder
1/4 c. dry sweetener (coconut sugar)
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T. unsweetened applesauce
2 T. almond butter (I used 2 T of PB2....you could probably use any nut butter)

For Sprinkling
1 T. dry sweetener (coconut sugar)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper, making sure that the parchment goes all the way up the sides of the pan, or have ready an 8x8-inch nonstick or silicone
baking pan. I greased my pan. This isn't the healthiest way to go, but I used PB2 so that is my excuse.

For the filling:
2. In a large bowl, mix together the berries, lemon juice, dry sweetener, cornstarch and salt until well combined. Place the mixture in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.


To make the biscuit topping:
3. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to let curdle for a few minutes and then add the vanilla extract.
4. In a large bowl, sift together the oat flour, baking powder, dry sweetener, and salt.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the applesauce and almond butter.
6. Cut the applesauce mixture into the flour mixture with a fork, until crumbly. Add the milk mixture and stir until just moistened. Do not overmix.


To Assemble to Cobbler:
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 350. Remove the foil from the pan and plop spoonfuls of the batter over the berry filling. Combine the dry sweetener and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top of the biscuit dough. Return the pan to the oven, uncovered, and bake for 20 more minutes.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool. Serve warm.
Here are some of the pics of the ingredients that I used. Like I mentioned earlier, Bob's Red Mill Oat Flour also comes as a Gluten Free Oat Flour so this recipe could be made totally GF if you wanted. If you don't want to buy Oat Flour, you can also make your own by grinding rolled oats in a food processor but....

  
Oat Flour.
Coconut Sugar

If I were to make it again, I would melt chocolate and drizzle it over the top....but that is just me....because I like me some raw cacao.


No comments:

Post a Comment