Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Something Very Exciting

Running is a gift. There was a time that I couldn't do it. I am thankful for it every day.


Some weeks ago (I don't remember how many), I read this article in the Runner's World that I received in the mail

Disabled Children Experience the Joy of Running


"Helping kids experience the thrill of racing was exactly what Andrew McMahon had in mind when he conceived Push to the Finish two years ago....."I went home and asked my wife, 'How can we get more disabled kids racing?'" says McMahon, a director of college outreach and father of three able-bodied girls. A few phone calls later, McMahon had three kids, three runners, and a race welcoming their
participation.
Since that first event, Push to the Finish has helped more than 75 kids cross finish lines at 42 races. The organization pays the entry fee, so there is no cost to parents or runners; both simply
register at the Push to the Finish Web site and are matched on race day. Kids are the registered participants; they wear the bib numbers and take home the medals, while runners race anonymously. "When we pass each other, we cheer on the child, not each other,"

The best part.....THIS IS IN UTAH!

I found the website and emailed them immediately and I will be running with  Push to the Finish this month. According to the article, they prefer runners that can run a sub 30 minute 5k, so the children can really experience the joy of the run. If you aren't that quick yet, what a better reason to do some speed work?!? I am SO excited....even more excited than I am for my half marathon this weekend. I am determined to run the 5k as fast as I can! Manfriend has even agreed to register for the 5k as well and run along side me and the child that they pair me up with.

For more information on Push to the Finish, check out their link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment