Thursday, July 31, 2014

I Have an Unhealthy Attachment to my Running Shoes

My legs have been feeling quite tired lately. I have been getting more sore despite no change in my exercise habits. Today I had to face a fact that I have been avoiding for about a month. It was time to replace my running shoes.


Yes. The purple shoes are the exact same shoe, just purple. I even had them waiting in a box in my closet for this exact occasion (I buy my saucony rides in bulk), but I am a bit ridiculous and I always have a hard time admitting that my shoes have seen their prime and it is time for the new pair. I like blue....and we have been through so much together.

So, when should one replace their running shoes? The consensus seems to be between 300 and 500 miles. The range really depends on the runner. Despite proper form, everyone's running style is different.

I go by feel. There is a point when the shoes start to feel less cushiony (not a word, but let's go with it). My landings don't seem to have as much support and my leg fatigue increases. Sometimes, my IT band acts up a little.

Here are a few articles, with a few different opinions about running shoe replacement, but the basic idea is the same:

Boston Magazine
Brooks
About.com
Road Runner Sports

I ran 5 miles today and I wasn't tired/sore at all after changing out my shoes. I shall miss my baby blue running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment