Saturday, July 12, 2014

Half Marathon on Dem Dirts

I have had 3 massages in the last 5 days, stretching, icy/hot packs and IBUprofen. I decided to do the half marathon and to not care about my time...this is very difficult for me. I am THAT person. I am in constant competition with myself, but I knew that if I didn't stop and walk when my back told me to that I would be worse for wear in the long run (little pun there).

So here is the Canyon-to-Canyon-Half-Marathon-Summy-Race-Recap...

I have never been to East Canyon. I was up at 3:45 this morning getting my shiznit together and then headed off around 4:15 AM. I packed myself some IBUprofen, proglide (for the chaffing - bleh), a handheld water bottle and my VEGA gel (which worked out awesome).

The race was perfect and I am hoping to do it again next year. There were hardly any racers, plenty of space, no bottlenecking at the beginning and miles of gorgeous mountains and hills...oh yeah, I also didn't do ANY trail runs to prepare for it...so there's that.

I even saw a barn and a deer on the course. The deer was too fast. Here is my sad attempt at running and taking a picture of a barn.

Don't tell me I'm not amazing.

I finished in 2 hours and 15 minutes with an average pace of 10:30. It isn't a bad time, but it is my slowest and I'm ok with it. I ran a way slower pace on purpose and if my back started to even twinge, then I slowed down even more or started walking for 30 seconds. I had a great time and I don't feel any worse than I did before. I should be able to get back to training right away.

The whole race was also very environmentally conscious and the proceeds benefit The Road Home which I was super stoked about because I am a hippie at heart (I'm vegan, what do you expect) and I used to volunteer at The Road Home. They give out these metals.


You only receive one metal as opposed to getting one for each event. For every event you complete, they give you a pin to add to your metal. 

I wore my new Zensah Coompression Socks and they worked out beautifully. It's silly, but I BELIEVE!



They were super comfortable and they were tight enough, but not too tight. They also didn't make me overheat which I was a little concerned about since it was going to be around 80 degrees by the time I finished the race. They also fit like knee highs are supposed to, which is super special because I have short leg problems and women's knee highs all go over the top of my knee. I also have a child sized head, so I can never wear headbands either. They all slide down to my neck. ALL OF THEM. If anyone ever comes out with child sized running headbands, hollah atch your girl.

Now for a relaxing Saturday. I am watching the world cup thingy tomorrow with some friends. I know nothing about the fooze-ball. Despite manfriend being from England, he hates soccer. So I will pretend I know what is happening. GO TEAM! SCORE THE POINTS!



No comments:

Post a Comment