Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lentil Casserole with Gravy

I found this casserole recipe on vegweb.com, I highly suggest making it with a gravy. The casserole by itself is delicious, but the gravy gives it some extra sparkle! I also made a few alterations which I included in the recipe.

2 cups cooked brown rice (I used lentils instead....hence the lentil casserole bit)
1/2 cup cashews or walnuts (I used 1/4 cup of each)
2 slices of whole wheat bread cubed
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup soy milk (I used almond milk)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I used 3 tbsp)
1 rib celery diced (I used 3 ribs)
1 small onion finely chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
Herbs to taste: sage, marjoram, thyme, pepper, rosemary (I used about 1 tsp of each)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.


While the rice/lentils are cooking, saute the celery and onion in olive oil. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Spread into the casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes. That is literally it! Super easy!

Golden Mushroom Gravy

 I got this one out of my "1000 Vegan Recipes" cookbook....holy shizzzz.....it was to die for!

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I ended up using 2 cups)
1 1/2 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp savory
1 tsp sage
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil on medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add the onion, cover and cook until softened. Add the chickpeas and half a cup of the veggie broth. Stir until all of the ingredients are softened.

Take the chickpea/onion mixture and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Set this aside. In the same saucepan, combine the remaining veggie broth and mushrooms and bring to a boil. 

Reduce the heat to low and add the chickpea mixture to the mushroom and veggie broth. Add all of the spices and stir. You can serve this right away or store it overnight. I made this the night before and when I reheated it, I had to add the extra broth that I mentioned earlier. Serve the casserole up with this bad boy on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment